When it comes to repairs and maintenance of a property, owners know that catching the problem early and solving it right away are good strategies to save on costs. Fix the issues you find immediately. Ignoring a maintenance or repair issue can lead to more expensive repairs later on. It could even put you or your residents at risk.
One typical problem in a property is the appearance of mold. This issue can catch both residents and owners off guard. Because it starts gradually and spreads slowly, often inside walls or hidden within structures, certain molds can go from barely visible to a serious health hazard in a blink of an eye. When not treated, mold could deal a lot of damage to a residence.
There are different kinds of molds, but the toxic variety is called Black Mold, or Stachybotrys atra. Often presenting as slimy greenish-black or gray, toxic mold thrives in damp places in the home. This includes leaky roofs, windows, or pipes. This also includes under floors if you’ve had a flood or in ceilings if you’ve had a leak. Black Mold gives off an unpleasant musty odor. When it’s present, it can severely limit your ability to guarantee the safety of a rental home because of the potential health problems it creates. It should be noted that Stachybotrys molds are not always black. This means molds of different colors could also be dangerous. Another way to say this is that there is no way to determine, just by looking, whether your mold problem is of the toxic or harmless variety.
Whilst mold overall is very common in damp indoor environments, Stachybotrys is less common than other mold species, including Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) doesn’t have data about how frequently Stachybotrys molds are located in buildings, but it’s less common than ostentatious media reports would want to say.
The existence of toxic mold is a serious health concern. The CDC reports connect the presence of mold in the home and serious health effects, including respiratory problems (coughing or wheezing, throat irritation, nasal stuffiness), eye irritation, or skin irritation. People with allergies, asthma or lung disease may be even more severely affected. This could lead to serious infections in the lungs and threaten their lives.
Because of the danger raised by toxic mold, taking control of an outbreak as efficiently as possible is of utmost importance. Ongoing damage from mold can completely damage walls, ceilings, and a tenant’s possessions. As a landlord, you may be held responsible if you are aware that mold is present in a rental home but fail to take the proper steps to address it.
Beyond legal liability, toxic mold can lead to severe damage to a rental home if left unimpeded. Mold grows well wherever there is a regular supply of moisture. It can be found growing on cardboard, ceiling tiles, carpet, wallpaper, and upholstery. Also, it can thrive on wood products, like the wood inside walls and floors, on insulation, and even on drywall and paint. With so much at stake in your rental homes, it’s essential to do regular upkeep that includes good mold prevention strategies.
Call the Experts
Oddly enough, a number of property management companies don’t consider mold a serious problem. They may try to avoid expenses by disregarding water damage or telling residents to deal with it themselves, However, putting the health of your residents at risk is never a good idea. Mold should never be treated lightly. The serious nature of the damages caused by ignoring mold makes it a job for a company that will work to protect you and your tenants from unwelcome consequences.
At Real Property Management Eclipse, we recognize the dangers that uncontrolled growths of mold present to rental property owners. Our team of skilled property managers and service professionals in Redmond will address the issue early and correct it. This will save you both time and money. Do you want a free assessment of your rental property? For more information, please contact us online or call us at 425-209-0252.